[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 25 23:13:50 CDT 2004

On Apr 25, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>>   Smallest...EL92 or EL94.  Total unobtainium.  I know of three in
>> existence, and I have two of them.
>
> 92/94 was what I was thinking of.  "deskside" model.
>
> Is the third the one in residence at the Goodwill Computerworks
> museum here in Austin?  I offered them $1K cash for it a few years
> ago (which they declined) before I realized that it was a
> mostly-stripped
> unit.

   Yes, that's the third one.  I have received additional information
regarding its status; I believe it can be brought to runnable condition
with some effort.  You'd just need to get it *out* of there.

> Does a J90 require 3-phase, or just 240V?

   Just 240V, standard split-phase house power.

> My six-CPU E3K is the closest I'm going to get to that, i think.
> Did any of the SS1K/Exx00 systems evolve from the CS64K/E10K, or
> was it a completely different architecture and design?

   I honestly don't know.

> neat stories. 8-)

   Hmmm...James Sharp sitting up late at my old place porting Apache
httpd to Unicos on my J90?  Well, there's not much of a story to that,
but it was cool. :)  There was my old friend Chris Daniel, who just
about fell on the floor when he discovered that I'd gone from "Wow, I
have NO idea how to wire up this machine, and what the hell are those
power connectors?!" to "hey, it booted!" in less than two days. :) One
could say I was..."driven". :)

          -Dave