[rescue] PS Wiring question...

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Fri Oct 31 14:20:47 CST 2003

This is a little OT, but since I'm doing it to build a poor man's SCSI
chassis for
a Sun 3 (and maybe Sun 2...) I figured it was fair game....

I need to find pin out of the ATX standard plug from a power supply.  I did
some
Googling, but haven't been able to find one that I trust.

I've got a old PC chassis that I'm setting up as box to hold two SCSI drive
chains
(initially two sets of two SCSI drives on a wire in a single box) with in
and out for each in the back
area where the back edge of an expansion card would be for a  normal PC
motherboard.
(yes, hacking a PC case to make it into a Sun usable box...my response to
the case
moders...and it's part of my continuing SCSI upgrade...I've taken Dave's
advise to heart 8-) )

That's all ok.  I got an old Dell power supply (which has a ATX plug) to
power the drives
(it's from an old Dell server and has  plugs galore for drives...it's
either a 350 or 400w
supply, so should be plenty for the 4 SCSI drives..) I got a ATX power
supply tester to plug
into it to put the appropriate loads on the power supply and trigger the
signals that ATX
power supplies need.  The problem is that the Dell PS doesn't seem to have
complied
with standard  ATX wiring (the tester goes dead on this PS, works on all
the rest I've
tried it on)  The PS works ok (I got it to turn on by grounding the correct
pin..which isn't
in the correct spot either .... I figure I can swap the pins around in the
plastic adapter, once I know the
official ATX wiring (it's going to take some metering to figure out what's
what on
the Dell PS ...no docs and Googling comes up pretty empty.... found one
place that
would sell a replacement model, but that's it...

Earl