[rescue] AT&T 3b2's for rescue

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Oct 28 16:27:11 CST 2003

When I left Philly in 1996, I gave a friend my two AT&T 3b2 systems.

He never had the time to use them and became very ill about 2 years
ago. He's recovered, but will never be able to do anything with them.
I posted them once before and never was able to complete the deal.

He lives in the Germantown section of Philly. The machines are free for
the taking, but he cannot assist anyone who does. They are in a room on
his second floor. From what I remeber they were the medium size, less
than a foot tall, and one strong or two average adults could lift and
carry them.

They have sat on a shelf for at least 7 years, so they may or may not
still work. They will need new batteries at the least. I have no idea
if they include software or manuals. They included some and had running
systems on them, but I've long since forgotten what I gave him and have
no idea of what he kept.

I had an almost full set of software (I never could get the SCSI to work)
and being stupid, archived the disks using a shareware DOS program. If
you take the machines, I can send you the files, but in order to make
new floppies, you will need an AT (286/386) class PC (later may work)
running DOS and a 720k or 1.2m 5 1/4" floppy drive. You will also need
high density (360k) double sided (not 1.2m) blanks.

I have heard rumor of 3 1/2" drives installed on 3b2's, but have never met
one. The big gotcha is that PC drives are always drive one, but on a 3b2
the boot drive must be zero.

I can provide a 5 1/4 drive if you want it, but I'm in Israel, shipping is on
you.

If you are interested, please let me know, and I'll arrange for you to
talk to him.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069