[rescue] Installing netBSD 1.6.1 on a Indigo2

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun Oct 26 10:08:44 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 04:03, Arjen Ronhaar wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I know that i do something wrong, but WHAT?
>
> When i tried to install the netBSD (sgimips boot disk 1.6.1)
>
> I followed the installation manual, and typed;
>
> setenv systempartition scsi(0)drive(3)rdisk(0)partition(8)
> setenv osloadpartition scsi(0)drive(3)rdisk(0)partition(0)
> setenv osloaderfilename netbsd
> setenv  osloadoptions auto
> setenv osloader boot
> boot
>
> and i receive the error message;
>
> dsk0d3s8: volume header not valid
> cannot load scsi(0)cdrom(3)partition(8)sashARCS // media not loaded

Well, I'm fairly new to SGIs and haven't dove in much on the software,
but from what I see here, and what I know of NetBSD and the other BSDs
is that the file that it attempts to boot is not usually the same
filename that IRIX uses.  sashARCS is part of IRIX.... my guess if
you need to add whatever filename or path/filename to the
systempartition setting, or if there is a separate variable for filename
to boot, set that (this is where I don't know enough obout SGI's
firmware or NetBSDs bootfilename to give you the actual answer).

Hope this leads you on the right path.

-- Curt