[rescue] IBM mdel M keyboards...The sequel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 23 21:51:15 CDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 05:58:27PM -0400, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> Even if you don't like the stick, the build quality is better on the "On
> the Stick" than the customizer.  I've had problems with the customizer.

It is worth noting that you can still find brand-new IBM keyboards
at auction sites.

I got three of them for $10 each, brand new in-the-box.

I will *never* part with them... :)

Actually, I have some early 90s models, and I'd like to have some of the
original PS/2 keyboards.

These model M's are very close, but not absolutely the same as the first
ones.

I'd also be interested in keyboards of the same type, but with flat
layouts.  Ever since seeing the Logitech Internet Navigator, I've been
curuious about trying a flat layout for awhile.

Another thing I would like is a model M type keyboard, but without the
numeric keypad.

My one beef with keyboards like this is that they are off-center on
my desk, slightly to the left of my display.  That's because the home
row is off-center to the left.  My desk will not allow me to move the
keyboard to compensate.

My ideal keyboard right now would probably be a model M with the
function keys on the left-hand side, and a compact layout on the right,
or perhaps no number pad at all.

That would give me an on-center keyboard.