[rescue] AIX & RS/6000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 23 22:15:42 CDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:56:57AM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:51:17PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >Is IBM part of the BSA?  I've heard enough stories of the BSA trashing
> >all non-windows machines at companies to make me suspicous about any
> >unix vendors being in it.
>
> What do you mean by "trashing?"

Not sure what he means, but I've heard from several shops that BSA
damaged some of their systems.

I don't like the BSA, and I think they inflate piracy claims to further
their business.

For example, the BSA has been known to use gross machine sales to
determine projected sales.  Something like this:

    machines sold * top N packages available = projected sales

They then calculate piracy as the difference between that artifical
number and actual sales.

Kinda inflated...