[rescue] Ultra 1e price question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 23 01:11:13 CDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> Personally I think any U1 is worth $50 even a base unit. However, be aware
> there is a model of the U1 that has the badge 'Ultra 1 Enterprise on the
> front. These are not the more familiar machines like the 170E. They are
> plain vanilla U1's. All of the machines that are true 'E' Enterprise models
> will say 'Ultra 1 Creator' on their badge.

Every Enterprise-badged Ultra 1 I've ever seen has had hme Ethernet, a
UPA slot, and fast+wide SCSI.  The "Enterprise" just means "no
framebuffer" because it was marketed as a server.

The best indicator (aside from peeking inside) is the code on the rear
of the system.  If it's A11, it's the older unit with narrow SCSI, le
Ethernet, and sbus only.  If it's A12, it's the newer unit with
fast+wide SCSI, hme Ethernet, 2 sbus slots, and one UPA slot.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire