[rescue] PHP for Solaris?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Oct 21 17:41:05 CDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Would like to hear your opinion on PIKT and
> http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/radmind/ .

Both look interesting, but at first glance don't seem to hit what I'm
aiming at.  Since I've been so busy the last few years I've fallen behind
on what's out there, so thanks for the pointers - these look like
interesting packages and merit more investigation.

My old boss is wanting to hire me back to go do some work on that old
network again, and that would be the perfect playground for testing out
some ideas.  The basic notion was:  "Okay, the building has burned down
and we have a pile of replacement hardware, a stack of the vendor CD ROMs,
user data from the last set of offsite backup tapes, and this floppy disk
containing the configuration files that describe the entire layout of the
network.  You have 24 hours.  Go."

Ooh!  Maybe I can parlay a half-time consulting position into a cushy
grant-funded research project and get some grad students and interns to
bang out the code for me, so I can write the paper for presentation at
LISA and bask in the glow of fame and fortune and do very little of the
actual work. :-)  Hee hee.  Better go find an old corduroy jacket and sew
some patches on the elbows...

I do, however, have the _coolest_ acronym picked out already - way better
than "PIKT".  Mine is called the "Distributed Unix Configuration Tweaking
Tool And Parameter Engine".  DUCTTAPE(tm)!  Because everyone knows that
duct tape holds the Universe together. :-)

-- Chris