[rescue] VM

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Tue Oct 21 14:02:46 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com wrote:

>>>Indeed.  It's useful for any kind of IBM mainframe development.  You
>>>get your own machine.  You can do whatever you want to it.
>>>

>>It's shame that the equivalent of VM didn't spread ... it'd be useful on
>>all sorts of machines.
>>

>I've used partitioning and virtualization on other platforms.  It's more
>useful on mainframes.

nPar is available for AIX boxes. HP has vPar along with hardware
partitioning. Solaris 9 wasn't there yet with Zones but the upcoming
Solaris 10 will include partitioning and virtualization under both Sparc
and x86 platforms. This is a first for an intel based OS, no? Bochs is
not there yet and is not part of any OS.  Of course Microsoft is heading
that way ever since they bought connectix. I hope nobody buys VMWare...

Francois