[rescue] Sun Unobtainium memory tool

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 21 11:52:52 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 12:46 PM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>>    That said, I don't have any in production anymore (and only one
>> sun4m
>> box left), but not because they're inadequate in any way.
>
> Why is that, then?  I'm just curious.

   Well, for *my specific application* they're inadequate.  My
nameserver handles about 200 zones now, as well as some other services
like a Squid web cache.  I want my web cache to have faster disk I/O
than 8-bit 10MHz SCSI can deliver.  My nameserver is an AlphaStation
500 5/266.

   The way the services are distributed on my production machines,
there's no place for a sun4c box.  I could redistribute that stuff to
make it more suitable for 4c machines, but instead I design the
network, then picked machines that were well-suited to the tasks...not
the other way around.

   For someone running a small nameserver or something like that, a 4c
machine running a modern OS that's not Solaris really can't be beat.

          -Dave