[rescue] Sun Unobtainium memory tool

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 21 11:37:03 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 09:25 AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>>>       -Dave, feeling pedantic, not that there ever was a Sun 1+...
>>
>> You know what's sad?  I paid $700 in 1996 for my first SPARC, a
>> SPARCstation 1 with dual 200M drives and a bwtwo.
>>
>> I now have a pile of 1+s that make.. you guessed it.. a good footrest.
>
> It's fast enough to do some things still, right?  Fast enough to be a
> nameserver, for example?

   Sure.  There may be better choices, but VERY few machines will be as
reliable, as compact, or pull that little power.  Sun4c-based boxes
make excellent "utility" machines for these reasons.

   That said, I don't have any in production anymore (and only one sun4m
box left), but not because they're inadequate in any way.

          -Dave