[rescue] SS1+ (was "Sun Unobtainium memory tool")

Magnus Hedemark magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Oct 21 08:59:18 CDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> It's fast enough to do some things still, right?  Fast enough to be a
> nameserver, for example?

Why bother?  It's very easy to score sun4m machines for free these days.
sun4m is still supported by Linux, Solaris and *BSD.  If you spend even a
small amount of money you can have sun4u (like the 6 Ultra 1's I just
scored for $20/ea).

I had an SS1 around for curiosity's sake and  historical preservation, but
when I moved back to PA this year I dumped a lot of those machines on the
Aurora Linux project (and I understand that they were even less
interested in supporting the SS1).

Nameservers?  Being upgraded from SS4 & SS10 hardware to Ultra 1's in a
couple of weeks.  The SS's that I've been using I got for free.  So why
even bother with lesser hardware?