[rescue] IBM RS600 AIX 4.3 Boot / Devices

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Tue Oct 21 07:11:58 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 03:17 am, jnlk wrote:
> I am currently unable to get my IBM RS6000 G30 machine to boot
>
> Getting a 264 - No Device error - Could it be a bad scsi card ?

It's possible for a bad SCSI card to go unnoticed, though I'd think it
somewhat unlikely given IBM's painstaking approach to POST.  Are you sure
that the attached disk is good and has an OS on it?

> Suggestions as to how to get it to boot ?

Have you tried booting from an AIX CD and see what cfgmgr detects...?

I don't think any of the MCA RS/6000s had SMS, but some had service processors
or neo-service processors, and I think some could probe a little hardware.
Try digging up the service and user manuals for the G-series boxes from
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/ -> Library -> Hardware documentation.

-E.