[rescue] 802.11 + VoIP

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Mon Oct 20 23:23:41 CDT 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Joshua Snyder wrote:
> Get a better antenna.  Or an amp+antenna.  I'm running a network at almost
> a half mile with no dropped packets and decent bitrate.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

The link in question is 3.6 miles long and both sides have amps.  It is
all in spec as far as the Fcc rules are concerned.  The real problem has
to do with the tower side of the connection.  About a 1/4 of a mile away
from the tower that has the omni, sits a Verzion tower, 80 feet up on this
tower an omni that is blasting away at over four times the power limit
that the Fcc allows.  That is what causes most of the problems with this
link.  The Isp knows about it but they don't want to call the Fcc to
get it fixed.  They don't want to risk any of their stuff being out of
spec as far as the fcc is concerned.  They are a small shop and it would
be VERY bad if they had to replace equipment.  If they knew for sure that
they wouldn't have any problems they would make the call but it is a big
risk for them...

				josh