[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 17 22:49:41 CDT 2003

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 11:15 PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>> So what's to stop us from changing that 10/21/2000 date... by
>> resurrecting Multics hardware and running Multics as a community
>> effort?... Cost...? Unobtainium?
>
> It was very tied to PL/1 which was a horrible language by any account,
> besides the OS was also coupled to a specific ISA support for some of
> the
> features. I believe there were some efforts to port it to modern micros
> (read x86) and failed misserably.
>
> Besides most of the cool ideas have found their way into a few modern
> OSs
> so I dunno what the utility of a multics re-animation would be.

   It's not clear that anyone was suggesting "utility" of any sort.  It
is an important part of history, and as such, it should be preserved
and studied.  I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it in
production unless they absolutely had to.

       -Dave