[rescue] Interesting bit on Multics

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Oct 17 22:38:02 CDT 2003

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 11:15  PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>

>> So what's to stop us from changing that 10/21/2000 date... by
>> resurrecting Multics hardware and running Multics as a community
>> effort?... Cost...? Unobtainium?
>
> It was very tied to PL/1 which was a horrible language by any account,
> besides the OS was also coupled to a specific ISA support for some of
> the
> features. I believe there were some efforts to port it to modern micros
> (read x86) and failed misserably.

Why not just resurrect a Honeywell machine... I think that would have
more geek points to it...

I'm talking about rescuing an original machine or putting one
together... and running the last release... i.e. Rhode Island computing
museum style.

Then of course you could work at porting it on that machine to
something like z-Series, Unisys Dorado, etc.... something big and in
the same spirit... but still modern...

But what do I know?

Andrew