[rescue] Optimal OS for a SS4?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:16:23 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I beg to differ: The machine isn't slow at all...but Solaris is slow
> on that machine.  NetBSD on an SS4 is actually respectably zippy.
> Stick it in a rack and let it serve web pages or handle email for lots
> of people...you'd be amazed at what it can do with a streamlined OS.

Be wary of using it as a server.  The power supply in the SS4 is a
dumb one unlike the SS5.  IF you lose power, you have to manually
turn it back on, where the SS5(20,etc.) "remembers" what state the
power supply was in, and come back on automatically.

I remember someone getting caught by this years ago on rescue.

--Kurt