[rescue] wanted: diskimage for sun3 architecture

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Tue Oct 14 14:57:58 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I am trying to get my Sun 3/60 to work and encoutered some problems. It
would be really helpfull it somebody could provide me with a diskimage
of a working system (preferably SUN0105, SUN0424 or SUN1.05G).

Long version:

I got two 3/60s, one of which has no working SCSI (or so does the label
on it say).
1) First I wanted to boot the oldest SunOS I could find. I took SunOS
3.5 from sunarc.org and tried to netboot it. It kind of works, until the
kernel starts trying to mount partitions via the network disk protocol.
Although NetBSD's Matt Fredette has written a ND daemon, it does only
support booting via ND, not mounting. (I succesfully use it to netboot
my Sun 2/50.)
2) Then I tried netbooting SunOS 4.0.3. I couldn't find the correct
kernel between all the seperate tape image files, so I put in a SunOS
4.1.3 kernel with the 4.0.3 userland. The kernel loads and probes the
devices, then does a NFS getattr on the swap and then hangs.
3) After this I tried soldering a harddisk in the system using the HOWTO
on sunstuff.org. The Sun 3/60 motherboard has places reserved to solder
in a SCSI connector and a power connector. The 4 wires of the power
connector have +5 and GND, but there's no +12V... Also not on my
spare-parts-Sun3/60. Weird. So this doesn't work, without +12V the disk
won't spin up.
4) I connected an external disk (SUN0424) (luckily I have a SCSI cable
that goes from the really-old connector with 3 rows of pins to something
more modern) and a QIC-150 tape. I have original 4.1 SUNBIN tapes for
Sun3. I checked the tapes, there's still okay. Booting wouldn't work
though. Found out via sun3arc that I had a PROM that was too old (1.9).
5) Took the PROM from the spare-parts-sun3/60 (2.8 or something) that
supports QIC-150 drives. And yes, I can do a b st() and a st(0,0,2) to
get standalone copy. But.. it doesn't copy stuff to the disk. The disk
activity LED flashes briefly, nothing else happens. The disk is SCSI id
0. I also tried b st()install st(0,0,4) which loads a kernel that does a
device probe, following by the tape drive whirring, followed by a hard
reset of the system. The problem is not the disk, nor is it the SCSI
cables.

I'm getting fed up :) but won't be defeated.

Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"