[rescue] Sun Crossbow mouse - really short cord!

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Oct 13 22:00:10 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 22:49, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> I just got a type 6 keyboard and mouse from ebay... the mouse is part
> number 370-3631-02.  The cord is about 3 feet long, which is nothing!
> How can I locate my U60 under a desk and use the mouse?!  My SGI mouse has
> a much more reasonable cord about 8 feet long.

Sun (and others) have made extension cables for Sun keyboards and mice.

If you can't locate something.... e-mail me in a couple of days... I'll
look around, I may have one kicking around....

> Also what's up with the backspace key over the return key?  Is that really
> more common than putting it in the number row, and why?

Type 6 (as well as type 5) came in two layouts... 'PC' and 'Unix'.
The PC one has the long backspace key in the top right with the
backslash key below it (1.5 letter keys wide) with Enter being
a double wide letter key under that.

The UNIX layout has an 'L' shape return key, small backspace
key, and a regular width backslash key...

I prefer the PC layout myself.

I use a type 6 currently, and while I like the mouse better, I think
that in general the type 5 was a better keyboard.  I find I make
many more spelling mistakes on a type 6.

-- Curt