[rescue] Trade?

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Oct 13 09:15:57 CDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 09:24:41AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> >    OBD-II?  Whazzat?
>
> The diagnostic connector on American-made cars.  You can peek and poke
> some really neat values across that interface.  You can read and clear
> trouble codes, put the engine in "closed loop" diagnostic mode, tinker
> with timing, and all sorts of other hackery.

It's not just American cars.  My understanding is that there are 3
different protocols, but they all use the same port.  My Jetta has such
a port.  Info on how to use it is fairly easy to find.  Dave's Porsche
probably also has such a port, and I have a sneaking suspsicion it might
use the same protocol as VW.  My understanding is that VW, Audi,
Bentley, Bugatti, and Lambourghini not only use the same protocol, but
that they all also share the same vendor extensions.