[rescue] VOIP

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 06:30:37 CDT 2003

--- Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> Well in NY at least, AFAIK they cannot cut your dialtone for 911
> calls.
>   If you've activated a land line at least once, then when they
> disconnect your service you have dialtone and can make a call to a
> few numbers... 911 being one of them... some others are codes like
> 990 (to get the number assigned to the phone).  This is with
> Verizon at least.

All phones can make 911 calls, I think it is part of the 911 system, a
requirement once you roll out 911 service in an area. The idea is if
someone is in trouble, and they see a phone, they should be able to use
it to tkae advantage of the regions 911 service, irregardless of the
account status of phone owner.

This is why cell phones always have value for batered womens shelters,
as they can always be used to call 911...

I keep an off contract cell phone in each of my cars, along with a
phone charger just in case my car dies and I forgot my cell phone...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall