[rescue] VOIP

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Oct 12 22:01:40 CDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 18:23 US/Eastern, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> When we finally get out of this rathole and have real connectivity
> again, and can afford to reactivate our cell phones, I'm thinkign very
> seriously about going with Vonage or Packet8 for our primary phone
> service and not having regular telco landline service at all.

I've been using packet8 for over a month now, and am quite happy with
it. The only limitations that would keep me from using it as our only
home phone are the fact that you can't call 911 with it, and if the
electricity or cable go out you have no phone either.

The 911 thing makes sense. 911 calls are automatically routed to the
nearest emergency call center, and if your phone is routed through a
server in California or New Jersey, how can you reach the right center?

----sambo