[rescue] Trade?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Oct 10 13:33:18 CDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, brooke wrote:
>
> > I wonder... Can someone get stoned from a properly configured data
> > center?
>
> Yes.  Or at least induce very surreal dreams/daydreams.

Definitely.

Picture this:  a large vestibule outside the datacenter, plain white,
completely empty except for a large low-slung couch across from a huge
plate glass window, behind which were three ranks of modem racks, six
abreast, three deep, with 16 modems per chassis (old Microcoms[1]) and
about 8-10 green and red LEDs per modem.  Many a late night, after pulling
24+ hour shifts, you could slink down onto that couch and be completely
mesmerized by the soft warm glow of the twinkling lights, and literally go
into a trance...

Dang, I wish some pictures or video of that had survived.

-- Chris

[1] Despite repeated and increasingly desperate pleas, Microcom continued
to include a line cord in every modem card shipped - for rack modems that
had *no RJ11 jack* to plug them into.  We had a box as big as a beanbag
chair full of phone cords.  We used to give away handfuls of line cords at
our monthly open house.