[rescue] SGI PS/2 keyboards

Henry R. Bent hbent at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:13:33 CDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Other than looks, is there any difference between the SGI grey and
> granite PS/2 keyboards?  Which PS/2 keyboard feels most like the old
> Onyx keyboards (the granite ones, since I seem to recall also seeing an
> older beige one once).

I've got a first-gen beige PS/2 keyboard here, part number 9500829, as
shipped with the very first gen Indys.  I can't say about it being like an
Onyx keyboard, but it's so similar to the Iris Indigo ones that I have to
check twice to make sure I'm plugging the right one into the right
machine.

In terms of feel, it's IMHO closest to the AppleDesign ADB keyboards if
you're familiar with those.  Somewhat soft, but still with an audible amount
of click.  Not as clicky as an SGI Power Series keyboard, but clickier than
the granite keyboards that shipped with later model Indigo2s.

Yikes, keyboard philosophy.  I'm gonna stop now.

--
Henry Bent
hbent at cs.oberlin.edu