[rescue] OT: FeeCee rescue

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Oct 6 07:47:02 CDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:21:11PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:

> The cost of the PS2 is more than hardware dev, low-level software
> dev, and the other costs associated with manufacturing a product
> (distro, advertising, physical cost of components, etc.)  In the
> case of Sony (may/may not apply to other console manuf), you also
> have to take into account:
>
> * licensing costs--b/c PS2 is DVD-based, games are region-encoded
>     for a game produced in the US to be released in the UK or
>     Europe, there is the overhead of managing the licensing

Well, the licensing costs aren't becuase they used DVDs, it's because it
can play DVD-Video discs, i.e. they have to license the CSS stuff, and
agree to implement other things as part of the requirements for
licensing CSS.

> * 1st party QA--for any game to get the PS2 logo on it, it must
>     first be vetted by Sony QA, e.g. "1st party QA"; ditto for
>     hardware accessories to be "official".  This included building
>     infrastructure for testing new network-based games.

I thought they passed that cost directly to the game producer.  Maybe
I'm wrong though.