[rescue] Rescued RS/6000

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Sun Oct 5 19:02:59 CDT 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> If he has no PeeCee or PowerMac (that is able to run NetBSD) like me?
> If he has an other machine that is alrady runing AIX?
> If he hasn't seen NetBSD bevore?
> Maybe dual boot it with AIX?
> I didn't say that he has to run NetSBD, I just wanted to point to an
> additional option besides AIX (and maybe Linux).
>
> > I would think that AIX makes it "special", and it would be worth a
> > fair amount of effort to obtain it and get it running.
> Sure. If that is his one and only RS/6000, no question, it has to run
> AIX.

Assuming I can get past the service mode password Jonathon mentioned, it
will run AIX. Space and time permitting, it may also run debian. My tibook
runs openbsd and linux nearly all the time, so I I've convinved myself
I've got "the common" OSs on ppc covered well enough to sleep at night.

The truly important thing is that is has X, so that OSX2X(inerama)2X2X2VNC
(VNC on Zaurus, no x86 in the mix of course!) intimidates and strikes even
more fear into the hearts of unsuspecting office visitors than previously.

Of course defeating the service mode password first sounds like plenty of
fun to start with - odds are that it will probably end up in the queue of
to-be-played-with machines behind the last alpha and the openstep SS.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst