[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Sun Oct 5 05:43:21 CDT 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > Graphics board: SI with texture option
> !!!!!!!!!            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, I am not sure what I am going to do with it... I don't think that I
am going to do much that will be helped by the Tram.

> > So did I luckout and get the good mainboard?
> Yes, it's the 030-1467 thing. It looks like this machine was upgraded
> with the 030-1467 board, as other components like GFX, CPU and Xbow are
> quite old and come from the pre 030-1467 time.
> > I am not sure because the page seems to talk about both the Cpu
> > and mainboard as "IP30" but hinv only has a label of "IP30" for
> > the board and PM10 for what seems to be the Cpu.
> This is a bit confusing. It seams that IP30 usually means mainboard
> with CPU. IRIX uses "IP30" to designate the machine architecture.
> What did you pay for the machine?
> --

Total + shipping was around $220.  I wanted to keep it under $200 but I
knew that the machine had the tram module so if figured what the heck.  I
am glad I did.  The funny part about all of this is the e-mail I exchanged
with the seller.  I asked them if they knew what rev the board was; they
told me that they thought it was one of the older revs.  They were
selling three machines at the time and they said that they thought two of
them were the rev that sometimes had problems with the heart chip.  I
almost didn't buy because of that alone... It might be that is one
originaly had that problem and that is why it has the newer mainboard.
Still it seems to have worked out well in the end.

				josh