[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Oct 2 15:30:06 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 16:11, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Andrew Weiss wrote:

You forgot the Atari 400/800/1200XL/600XL/800XL/etc ...

The 8 bit atari had a display list.  In memory there was a entry for
each scan line.  One of the things that could be done is to define
an interupt on any given scan line (or all of them).  The work you
could do was limited by the time it took for the beam to move back
to the left side of the screen, but you could alter your color
palette for each scan line.

This is not as advanced as the Amiga 500s HAM (which I had not known
about as I never had the money to get into Amigas back then).... but
in some ways was more flexible (as you didn't need to worry about
chagning the R, G, or B from the pixel to your left).

If anyone here ever has seen the demo atari wrote which is an Atari
Fuji logo and the word ATARI under it in beautiful cycling colors
(I think they appeared moving up the screen... or they had the
illusion of doing so) on a black backround...  this was done with
display list interrupts cycling the color palettes on each scan line
which gave the atari logo it's moving banded color rainbow effect.

I'm sure many games made use of display list interrupts.

The whole video architecture of the Atari 8 bit amazes me still to
this day....

-- Curt