[rescue] OT: FeeCee rescue

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Wed Oct 1 18:29:27 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:17:09PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Of course you can just buy an Xbox to hurt Microsoft.  Buy one and put
> Linux on it and use it as a cheap PC.  Then basically MS has made a
> loss on the hardware and no recovery on the games.

Living here in Redmond, working at a job that requires a lot of contact
with MS (the alternative is not being employed; if it were me, fine, but
with two kids to suppot, oh well), and knowing more than a few people on
campus, I can say pretty squarely that the "Microsoft loses money on
every Xbox sale" meme is wishful thinking at best and outright deception
at worst.

I also have a good friend who works across the way at Nintendo; companies
that lose money on consoles and attempt to make it up in game sales go
out of business.  Now, console companies may only make *pennies* on each
console, but the successful ones *do* make money on them.  They are by no
means the bulk of their profit.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take its