[rescue] OT: FeeCee rescue

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Oct 1 15:38:57 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 16:05, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:02:29PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> > Heheh. Welllll..the hardware is a loss leader ya know. I've seen a couple
> > X-Boxes running Linux, which is just..well..umm..confusingly appropriate.
> > I'd call that a double poke in the eye for M$. Lose money on the hardware
> > AND have another non-M$ bloatwareware laden system out there.
>
> Funny how when *Asian* companies do that, US manufacturers scream bloody
> murder about dumping ....

Yes... but while functionally the same, the 'dumping' complaints about
Asian companies as I understand it had more to do with Asian companies
dumping products at a loss to take market share and push American
manufacturers out of the business because they could not compete... then
once there was no competition and all one time costs, etc were paid off
they would have the whole market... so all the profit (no matter how
much per unit) goes to them... puts them in control.

The difference here is that (to the best of my knowledge) there were not
US console game platforms in the US for Asian makers to do dumping to
displace the market.  While you may or not consider what MS is doing
as 'dumping' (or what MS has done) in this case... it is not quite
the same.....

Plus, if the Asian console companies actually had anything to fear, they
probably would complain if MS was 'dumping'.... but their markets (to
my knowledge) have not been particularly eroded by the X-box.  Now,
if the X-box gets a lot of console specific kick butt titles for it
such that it makes people choose x-box over game-cube and ps2... then
that will be different.... but at this point I don't think Microsoft is
'dumping' these anymore... they probably make a few bucks for each one
sold....

-- Curt