[rescue] 2 SGI Power Challenge XLs for Rescue

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Oct 1 07:49:24 CDT 2003

It's behind the curve if you want to work in a shop whose HR department
throws any resume that doesn't contain the word SunFire in the trash
unread, for example.  The facts that I have no certifications, and that
I've never worked in an IT shop bigger than a half-dozen servers just
stack the odds higher, when you can't get a job working in a large
datacenter until you have experience working in a large datacenter.

I think I could still swing it if the industry wasn't in the shape it's
in.  Then again, if the industry wasn't in the shape it's in, I probably
wouldn't have been looking for work as long as two years.  But those,
*plus* the shape of the industry, *plus* being disabled, just adds up to
more disadvantages than I know how to overcome, and frankly after two
years of trying, my confidence is shot full of more holes than the Iraqi
Republican Guard.  I'm still looking, but I'm focusing on small shops in
out-of-the-way places.

I'm still kicking myself every day for not following up the configuration
management job in Salt Lake City about two weeks after I was laid off.
My wife didn't want to deal with Olympic traffic (as if it would have
been as bad as everyday Bay Area traffic anyway), and we just had NO
IDEA at that time exactly how bad the tech job market was going to get.
If I'd known then what I know now, we'd have been all over that job like
ugly on an ape.