[rescue] 2 SGI Power Challenge XLs for Rescue

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Oct 1 00:37:51 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:40:49AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >>  E3000, E3000... ;)
> >
> >nice try, Dave, but I have bigger plans for it than moving expenses.
> >:)
>
>   But I've got caaaaaash!   [dave cruelly dangles cash in front of Phil]

Tell you what, hang onto it in case things really drop in the pot.
There's other items in the sell-if-needed queue that'd be harder to
replace than the computing-power equivalent of the E3000.  And I no
longer think that the argument of maintaining familiarity on enterprise
class hardware to improve my marketability for an IT job really means a
damn; I have this gut feeling I'm too far behind the curve to catch up
outside of an IT job anyway.

I don't really know what a well-loaded E3000 is worth these days anyway.
(Don't know what they sold for new, for that matter.)

>   Yeah.  I just sold a house for exactly that reason. :-/

We'd be in a lot better shape financially if we hadn't had to short-sell
ours out from under the shadow of an impending foreclosure because our
damned greedy realtor screwed us.  (Long story.)