[rescue] Re: Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 13 14:47:54 CST 2003

<<
On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 12:59 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke
wrote:
   I have a SunRay and a flat screen on my kitchen table.  It's a
*great* combination.

<faq>
  Can those run as a vanilla Xterm, or does one need the Sun software
  make them useful?
</faq>

   No, they don't work as vanilla Xterms.  You need the Sun software to
use them.  But that's not a big issue; it's free and easy to deal with.
  They can still speak X to the rest of the world, through the machine
they're hosted from.

      -Dave

Although you can download the Sun Ray server software for free, it isn't
actually free software. You are required to buy a (non-transferrable)
license for every server and terminal on the network, or buy a site-wide
license. This is outlined quite clearly on the download page -
http://wwws.sun.com/software/download/products/3e3af226.html

"This software may be downloaded and installed; however, usage  requires
the purchase of a Right to Use license available from your   Sun  Sales
Representative or Sun Distributor. In the US, licenses may be  purchased at
http://store.sun.com under Thin Clients. "

The current licensing costs are available on the US Sun catalogue (prices
are in USD):

http://www.sun-catalogue.com/partpricing.xml?site=US_ENG&catalogue=FC&segmen
t=FC_R&item=FC_SC_CAT&group=2014&fid=5063&sfid=5198&id=10532

Regards,

Gavin