[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 13 11:24:15 CST 2003

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 04:43 AM, Paul Weissmann wrote:
> By any chance - do you know if he made Ethenet boards and AT-disks to
> work with it? There were patches floating around, but I was too lazy
> to buy such a WD-Ethernet and try it for myself.

   It is fairly trivial to get an IDE disk working on an RT.  Keep in
mind, all IDE is is an ISA bus interface...on the drive resides the
same electronics (logically) as a WD1003-ish hard disk
controller...same registers, addresses, etc.  Find a dumb ISA-bus IDE
adapter and that should work fine.  The programming interface for basic
IDE, the ESDI controller used in the RT, and the MFM controllers used
in x86 PeeCees are effectively the same at that level.

   I haven't done this myself, but I know someone who has, and it works
fine.

        -Dave