[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Nov 12 19:21:09 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:05:08 -0500
Phil Stracchino wrote:

> American TV makes little attempt to understand why a particular
> foreign TV show is funny or successful.  They just think they can make
> a cookie-cutter copy of it and people will watch it.  Compare the
> Japanese cooking game-show Iron Chef to the abortion Hollywood made
> when they tried to copy it, or any of the several awful attempts to
> copy Junkyard Wars (titled Scrapyard Challenge in the UK).

Please, stop!  I tried to watch that abortion staring William Shatner,
but couldn't - even when I *knew* he was camping it up for effect.  I
couldn't though.  It was like watching WWF RAW or something - the
chanting crowds, the flashpots, it was all too much.

Don't even get me started on Junkyard wars.  This season running now is
an absolute nosedive for TLC.  I can't watch it.  Both new hosts
*suck*, and the format is bears only a passing resemblance to anything
tat was successful in the past.

--
Kurt                        "I'm utterly clueless...."
kurt at k-huhn.com                          Verisign VP Chuck Gomes