[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 12 16:09:45 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2003, at 9:36 AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > Spike isn't exactly my favorite channel, but if you've never seen Most
> > Extreme Elimination Challenge, you've not lived.  30 solid minutes of
> > laughs.
> >
> I thought that was the dumbest show I've ever seen.... I'd much rather
> like a literal translation of what the original show was saying.  It's
> sort of like Mystery Science Theater 3000 dub-overs on steroids...I
> think perhaps if they didn't try so hard and non-stop, it might
> actually be a bit funnier.
>
> The best thing would be subtitled original Japanese.... the gameshows
> themselves look pretty entertaining on their own.

We had that show in like '89 or '90 back in Europe. The Americans copied
the idea, the problem is that the announcers are lame, it is all an art to
make some fucked up stories behind japanese people geting their nether
parts smashed to pieces. I remember that show was then followed by a WWF
presentation, in which the same announcers who mere making up shit about
the Japanese competition kept it up and make behind the scenes comments on
why these two large Americans were pretending to beat the crap of each
other. It was actually funny.... then again it all depends on the talent
of the announcers, and as I said before the Yanks who are doing this show
now, are not only copying the same concept of a program that is over 10
years old but they are doing a rather poor job at it.

Actually all my early experiences of wrestling (at least of the TV kind)
were someo sort of comedy, in fact that is what I assumed it was. Imagine
my surprise when I finally came to the United States and found out that
some people took that *gasp* serious, and that there was no commedy behind
it at least from the announcers (well the fact that the announcers try to
pretend to be broadcasting some sort of real sporting event is a comedy in
itself, but it is just not the same).

I miss those shows now....