[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Nov 12 11:44:45 CST 2003

> > If the drive itself is OK, I'd like to use it, but I can't get much of
> > a feeling for the reliability and interchangesability of the thing.
> To my experience Exabytes are better then DATs, but by far not that
> reliable like DLT or QIC (SLR/MLR). I would not use an Exabyte for
> mission critical purposes.

At a place I used to work we used Exabyte drives for daily backups.  The
drives seemed to last about a year and half.

What I found distressing was the number of tapes that came back bad after
being stored offsite.  The tapes were checked before they went out and
other format tapes that were stored with the 8mm tapes didn't have a
problem.

With 30GB DLT tape drives being available on eBay for real low prices, I'd
recommend using one of those.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net