[rescue] Sun3 SunOS 4.x help

barryc barryc at rjlsystems.com
Wed Nov 12 11:17:36 CST 2003

>I have a Sun3/80 that is giving me ulcers.

<deadpan>
    Yay. There was much rejoicing.
</deadpan>

I'm not sure if I finally found a QIC-150 drive that was good, or if they were
all good, and there was a problem with either the external enclosure I was
putting them on, or the cable I used to connect the enclosure to the 3/80. (or
the external SCSI port on the 3/80 itself)

Last tape drive I tried, I decided to hang off the internal SCSI bus instead of
putting it on the external box.  While my 4.1.1 tapes are apparently bad, my
4.0.3 tapes are still good.

I was able to successfully install SunOS 4.0.3 on a clean drive, boot it,
install the PROGRESS database server, and restore the databases from backup.
Everything we were using this machine for appears to check out A-OK, so I'm
pretty happy.

I still want to look into getting the machine booting off the network, but once
I finish making a mirror of the boot drive, that's going to go WAY down on the
priority queue.