[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Nov 12 10:17:51 CST 2003

 Joshua Boyd says
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:46:58AM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > That doesn't sound like anything that would end up saving time.  As
> > irritating as a 30-minute build on a PC may be, the Challenge
> would have to
> > cut that to a 3-second build to make up for the set-up time, and that
> > doesn't seem likely.
>
> Oh, did you mean setting it up as a compile server for off the shelf
> open source software?
>
> I thought you meant for compiling your own programs, which would be a
> lot simpler (but still not trivial).

Actually, it's so my son can compile his Linux-based projects for school.
Doing them on his Linux laptop is pretty slow, and if cross-compiling them
on the Challenge would be faster-enough to make up for the set-up time, it
might be a win.  His code is in C++, I think, and the run target is
Linux-on-i386.  Obviously, he wouldn't be able to run the stuff on the
Challenge, but if the compilation/linking step were fast ehough, it would
make up for it.

So, I'd need a gcc that runs on MIPS/Irix and outputs i386/Linux, and a
linker that has sense enough to use i386/Linux libraries kept on the
Challenge, and have it all run in normal-user userland ... over ssh.  Right?

-S