[rescue] Thin clients (was: Big iron)

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Wed Nov 12 08:58:44 CST 2003

The Platine A3000 is 1024x768, 256 colors and 10Mb/s ethernet. IMHO,
this is plenty for most people. We use these on the floor
(manufacturing) to replace dumb terminals. That way we can *rescue* all
those old 15" monitors. alt-f1 to access a legacy system with telnet,
alt-f2 for timeclocks, alt-f3 for a vnc session. Works great and minimal
impact on the backbone. When you get to 1280x1024x16bit color, you've
increased the bandwidth requirement (the 1280 terminals have a 100Mb/s
ethernet in fact) along with memory usage on your server, and most users
cant tell the difference. Most users started complaining when we went
from 800x600 to 1024x768!

If you want to drop by and check it out, let me know. I'm also in North
Carolina, but between Charlotte and Winston-Salem.

Ciao,
Francois