[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Nov 11 15:07:00 CST 2003

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 02:49 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I picture a modest flat panel flush mounted in a cupboard door, with an
> ultra small machine tucked into the back of the cupboard.  The panel
> should be touch sensitive, with a small mic in one corner, and a small
> IR port (or two) for wireless keyboard and talking to a handhelp
> machine.

This is most likely where mini-ATX shines.  (You could use something
like a Javastation too but I doubt it would be vast enough for cooking
videos.  ;-)  I suspect you'll be able to only reduce the storage of
the top cupboard shelf by a small amount with the box custom-mounted to
the back of the cabinet.

Then a small 9" touch screen and a small wireless keyboard and you're
all set.

> The entire house is to have a fairly pervasive FastE network for
> gadgets
> everywhere, and a 10baseT network for audio distribution (for an MP3
> playing system that fits in an electrical box the size used for a
> double
> wide light switch.  This will all be custom designed hardware, driven
> from some old unix machine with FDDI or FastE and lots of disk space).

Josh - by the time you get around to this everything will be wireless
cheaply.

Even now I would choose to do wireless G on something in a built in
space.  It should be more than fast enough to handle what you want it
to do.

Mike Hebel