[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at ohno.mrbill.net
Tue Nov 11 14:49:29 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:40:07PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Interesting -- my wife has been after me for some time to put a terminal
> in the kitchen for recipes etc.  We just haven't come across any
> suitable hardware for the purpose, *especially* given the insane lack of
> space in our current kitchen (temporary-turned-indefinite living
> quarters in a smallish, oldish doublewide trailer).

I picture a modest flat panel flush mounted in a cupboard door, with an
ultra small machine tucked into the back of the cupboard.  The panel
should be touch sensitive, with a small mic in one corner, and a small
IR port (or two) for wireless keyboard and talking to a handhelp
machine.

The entire house is to have a fairly pervasive FastE network for gadgets
everywhere, and a 10baseT network for audio distribution (for an MP3
playing system that fits in an electrical box the size used for a double
wide light switch.  This will all be custom designed hardware, driven
from some old unix machine with FDDI or FastE and lots of disk space).