[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Nov 11 14:02:20 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:09:48PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:

> I don't think a 160gig IDE drive is going to survive -20 in the garage.
>   I'm more concerned about thermal stress on ceramic components in those
> cases though.

If the drive is running continuously it will never get close to -20;
the drive I have is always warm to the touch.

I doubt that any workstation, server, or even PC you buy at Circuit
City would have a problem running in even -40 as long as it is in an
enclosed space.

The lowest end PC system I can think of will use 70-100 W continuous,
which is roughly 300BTUs of heat that is generated inside the case.

Condenstion or other moisture concerns would bother me far more.

--Patrick