[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 11 12:33:17 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Mike Hebel wrote:

> > The only time I've run a mainframe in a house in which other people
> > were living, I used it to learn as much as I could about S/370
> > assembler programming, while I sold all my (large quantity of)
> > remaining processor cycles, and used the money to pay power + cooling.
> > I also made a tidy little profit.
>
> Now just for us that don't have mainframes who do you sell processor
> cycles to?

There are companies which are outgrowing their processor capacity, but
can't yet buy a new system.  There's an exchange for compute time.

> And what kind of bandwidth does that require?

Not a lot, usually.  When you negotiate a deal, they'll ask you what your
data moving capacity is.  Sometimes they'll even put a leased line in
between you and them.  Of course, you can't use this line.  Only they can.

Peace...  Sridhar