[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 11 12:12:23 CST 2003

 Mike Hebel says ...

> True but from the small snippet of conversation it didn't sound like he
> was being threatened or oppressed.

Correcto, generalissimo!

She's not even that unhappy about parking the car outside.  She just can't
figure out _why_ I want something like that ... and sometimes, I can't
either!  I'm sure my "collection" is pretty paltry compared to some other
folks on the list, and way less than half of it is even hooked up, but it
takes up space and time.  No money, particularly, though.

> Just in passing - what does anybody have to do to heat an unattached
> garage to run systems in it?  I'm just wondering because it might be a
> little easier for us if I went and had a separate circuit run to the
> garage and put all the "servers" out there.
>
> Anybody doing this - in a "winter" state?

We don't have "real" winter here around Puget Sound; we're only 2 hours from
Canada by car, but it seldom gets down to freezing.  I expect a couple of
big systems would keep a small, insulated building warm here, all by
themselves.  Add a woodstove, and you can have heat a-plenty.  I guess a lot
would depend on what it would take to make you comfortable when you're out
there.  I expect the machinery would be OK if the room were 50 degrees,
since all the moving parts are more-or-less self-warming.

-Shel