[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Nov 11 11:52:52 CST 2003

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 11:17 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>    You're not going to like this, Shel, but I won't sugar-coat it.
>>>
>>>    She can't have the zebra without its stripes.  Speaking entirely
>>> idealistically, it is evil, bad, cruel, and just plain wrong to say
>>> "I
>>> like this person, but I don't like this and this and this about him,
>>> so
>>> I'm going to marry him and make him stop doing those things."
>>
>> There is however, room for compromise.  For instance, if the Challenge
>> is preventing the car being parked inside, the reasonable response is
>> to move the Challenge to the unused den or spare bedroom :-)
>>
>> Or alternatively to buy a small shed if the property is large enough
>> and have a "server shed" where all the toys can go.
>
>   Absolutely.  Compromise is good...oppression isn't.

True but from the small snippet of conversation it didn't sound like he
was being threatened or oppressed.

Truthfully until we got a space where I could expand I used to encroach
on my wife's space all the time.  SOs get cranky when that happens
because they react like _you_ are trying to control _them_ by reducing
_their_ space.  So I guess I can understand the whole "can't park the
car thing".  Which BTW is typical of our current situation.  I have
junk, not just computer, stuffed in the garage.

Just in passing - what does anybody have to do to heat an unattached
garage to run systems in it?  I'm just wondering because it might be a
little easier for us if I went and had a separate circuit run to the
garage and put all the "servers" out there.

Anybody doing this - in a "winter" state?

Mike Hebel