[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Nov 11 11:09:32 CST 2003

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 10:38 AM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> So ... what _am_ I going to do with it?  I'm not much on graphics, and
> it
> doesn't have a framebuffer, anyway.  It's only 10baseT, so massive
> fileserving would seem unlikely.  I know some of you guys have _big_
> stuff
> at home, and I'm not just talking McGuire and his Cray.  I need a story
> here, so give me some ideas, and, while you're at it, some real-life
> examples of what you do with your BigStuffAtHome.

Easy.  Something involving your SO.

Upgrade the networking and host a site on it just for him/her.

Put a head on it and make it draw beautiful pictures.  Connect it to
X10 and run your house with it.    Pump up the drive storage and
networking and store ripped DVDs on it with a feed box next to the TV
so that you never have to put in a disk.  Just press the right menu
choice.

Oh, and fileserving on 10-base-t to the Internet is just fine - the
bandwidth squeeze on that is your broadband anyway.  Though any upgrade
would be good too.

Regardless use it on the front for the SO and on the back run, say,
background database processes.  Or for storing all your porn.  The
possibilities are endless.

Using it for them is "sweet" and in reality brings you closer together.
  It's why my wife now uses a laptop - I set up network drives and stuff
just for her to store things and am probably going to set up a web page
"just for her" where she tells me what to put on it.  (And maybe
eventually puts her own content there. ;-)

Like I said - the possibilities are endless.

Mike Hebel