[rescue] How to "find" Cisco 3620?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Nov 9 06:12:10 CST 2003

I have a 3620 here that seems to boot and run, but the console port is fudged.
I see output from the unit, but it's garbled.  I've tried every combination
of baud rate, stop, data, parity known to man, and I've even tried resetting
NVRAM (which is supposed to default the comm parameters as well).  At one
point in time, I was able to "sync" up with it and got intelligible output,
but not since.

So, without a console port, how else do you get into one of these things?
Assuming it had an ethernet NIC, I could probably write a script to ping it..
(this would be time-consuming, though, and would require continuously
changing subnets on the source machine).  Any suggestions on how I should
attempt to access it?   ICMP ping?  SNMP port?

Once I reset NVRAM, do the NICs have a default IP address assigned to them at
all?

I'm convinced that there's a bad component on the board that's goofing up the
console serial link.  Is there any hope of finding schematics?

Eric