[rescue] Mac Hints needed

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 00:22:17 CST 2003

A genuine question: why did Apple go to so much trouble to make sure that
Macs can't boot anything but MacOS?

The only other systems I've seen which are locked down so hard are things
like game consoles or other purely proprietary hardware that's pretending
it's not really a computer, or units where that's part of the copy
protection for the software. MacOS wasn't copy-protected at all, so that's
certainly not it. Were they really pushing the information-appliance aspect
of it that much? I can't imagine that they were seriously worried about a
competitive threat from somebody else porting an OS to their hardware. None
of the companies around at the time had any reason to do so, and open source
OSes had yet to be born in the mid-80's.

Trying to make this make sense and failing... :/

--James B.