[rescue] SPARCstation Voyager

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Nov 3 05:07:20 CST 2003

Greetings, List.

I just rescued a Sun SPARCstation Voyager for a very nice price (40 euros).
Of course, there is a reason it was so cheap: it took a fall on its bottom
left side and now has a busted LCD and assorted other (minor) damage. I
opened her up, and the LCD itself is marked as being a Sharp LQ12D010
device. Googling for it did not do me any good, so now the question is, does
anyone here have a suggestion as to where I might find the proper (or
equivalent replacement) part?

Then, I have some more questions. I have googled both the web and usenet,
but haven't found a definite answer as to whether or not it is possible to
rebuild the battery packs for the Voyager. I got one with it, but it is
dead, of course (the NVRAM claims the machine was manufactured May 19, 1994,
so it's hardly surprising that this 9-year-old Li-Ion battery is dead).

To summarise, I will now be looking for the following parts:

- Colour LCD
- Battery door
- Left side case plastic (the one where the audio plugs are)
- Memory (it only has the on-board 16 MB)
- Carrying case
- Compact/1 keyboard
- Mechanical mouse
- LCD connector filler panel

If any of you know of a (maybe non-working) Voyager with a good (colour)
LCD, I'll be looking forward to rebuilding this puppy into a working 'puter.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
 - Voltaire